Pages

5/27/11

Rootin' Tootin' Bean Salad

This is one of the best bean salads!  Make it the day before and toss it a few times to marinate.
Chop -
You can increase these to your taste-
I usually use more than 1 cup



1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup diced red bell pepper - must be red - no green


Rinse in colander and drain well -
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can navy beans
1 can black eyed peas
1 can lima beans


To make sure the dressing doesn't watered down, I usually lay the ingredients on a large cotton or linen towel to dry a bit, then fold the towel and drop them all in the bowl.


Dressing -
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar (I use all red wine instead of cider)
1/3  - 1/2 cup sugar  (I use 1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil


Blend above with a stick blender or whisk until oil is incorporated, and pour over beans/veggies.  Toss gently, cover, refrigerate.  Toss or stir several times during marinating.  Best after at least 12 hours so make the night before.

4 comments:

Carla said...

I'm going to try this! It sound wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Siobhán said...

AGH! I tried leaving a comment on your Samplers & Santas blog but the little white comment box wouldn't come up no matter how many times I refreshed the page. Must be a blogger hiccup. Beautiful stitching finish-finishes!

Thanks for the recipe! My SIL makes a similar bean dip but adds corn to it, and I think cilantro? She made it one year when we all rented a beach house and it took every ounce of willpower I had to not stand there and just eat the entire bowl. YUM-O!

C M Designs said...

Your bean salad sounds delicious.. Adding corn sounds good too. I will have to make this someday.
Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Charlotte

Ronda said...

This sounds delicious!!